Sunday, June 14, 2009

Why SharePointlessness?

Okay, so here it goes. The first of many blogs on Microsoft SharePoint and other things that I know about.Maybe I should start this out with a little bit about me and why you should keep up with my blog.

I am a trained graphic designer. I have worked in a few advertising agencies. Now I work for CTS, Inc, an IT Professional Services company based out of Birmingham, Alabama.

But what about SharePoint? How does it fit in? Well, I have been working with SharePoint for the last 3 years at CTS. As a graphic designer, I have been primarily focused on "how to make SharePoint not look like SharePoint." This is quite a good challenge. Web work is always a challenge and adding SharePoint into the mix is just another problem to solve.

Well, I just want to say I am up to the challenge. I have worked with the 12,000+ lines of CSS and have branded many different sites using SharePoint and other web products.

As an IT Consultant I have been lucky to work for a company that has decided to embrace my new found love/hate relationship with SharePoint. I am lucky to run the Birmingham Alabama SharePoint Users Group and to be able to participate in SharePoint Saturdays around the country.

This year so far has been full of changes for me. I am transitioning my position within my company from that of an internal focused marketing employee to a full time SharePoint consultant. This will allow me to work with companies and people to solve problems using this technology and to combine this challenging work with my love for design. It is a work of art and a labor of love to work with SharePoint and create a great User Interface that is easy to work with.

In doing these tasks, I have coined the phrase SharePointlessness. These are instances when you need to make something work and the sometime obvious choice is not the one that works. With SharePoint you are challenged to grow and stretch your imagination to solve the problem in the best manner. Despite the fact that SharePoint is simply a .NET application, sometime the easiest way or the code way are not the best way to solve the problem.

So, please forgive me if at times I ramble about things not SharePoint related or of a more design nature. And I hope that I can provide some information that will help you solve your problems with SharePoint and avoid SharePointlessness.

Thanks and Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment